Having begun work in one of the largest mills in Rhode Island as a boy, immediately following the completion of his education, Mr. Lacross, in the years following, acquired a very thorough training and wide experience by being connected with a number of other mills in Rhode Island and elsewhere. Eventually he established, together with an associate, a mill of his own, of which he is now the sole owner. Its steady growth and prosperity is largely attributable to Mr. Lacross’ exceptional business and executive ability and to his industry and energy. His establishment being one of the important manufacturing concerns of East Greenwich, Mr. Lacross naturally occupies a position of prominence in the business world, and during his residence in this town he has also gained for himself the liking and respect of his fellow-townsmen.
Thomas A. Lacross was born at Scituate, December 30, 1882, a son of the late Joseph W. and Ida Frances (Hopkins) Lacross. His father, who was engaged in the cotton business until his death, was a native of Burlington, Vermont, while his mother was a native of Scituate, Rhode Island. Mr. Lacross was educated in the public schools of Fiskeville, which, however, he left at an early age. At that time he entered the employ of the B. B. & R. Knight Company at Fiskeville Mill, with which firm he was engaged for five years. Next he was successively connected with the Jackson Mill for one year; with the braid mill of Joslin & Orr, at Moosup, Connecticut, for one year; with the Morano Mill, Providence, for three and one half years; with the American Tubing & Webbing Company, of Providence, for six months; with the Thompson Manufacturing Company, of Quebec, Canada, for a short time; and with the Earl A. Potter Company, of Cranston, for two years. In 1905 he became associated with Walter M. Hill and, together with him, formed the firm of Hill & Lacross, manufacturers of elastic braids. The business was established at Cranston, where it continued to be conducted until 1926. In that year it was removed to East Greenwich, where it has been located since then and where it has continued to enjoy prosperity. Mr. Hill withdrew from active business in 1921 and since that year Mr. Lacross has been sole proprietor. A member of the East Greenwich Chamber of Commerce, and of Providence Lodge, No. 14, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Mr. Lacross also takes an active part in religious affairs, his affiliation being with the Episcopal Church of the Ascension. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party. His principal form of recreation is yachting.
Mr. Lacross married, in 1900, Celia C. Parkerson, a native of Rehoboth, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Lacross are the parents of seven children: Frederick F., Walter T., Celia Ida Frances, Elsie I., Mildred, Caroline, and Thomas A. Lacross, Jr.
Source: Carroll, Charles. Rhode Island: Three Centuries of Democracy, vol 3 of 4. New York: Lewis historical Pub. Co., 1932.