As pastor of the Church of St. Bartholomew of Providence, Rhode Island, the Rev. Peter Gorret has for many years been devoting his energy to the advancement of the interests of that parish.
St. Bartholomew’s parish is one of the oldest Italian church parishes in the State of Rhode Island. Founded in 1907, it has grown and developed until at the present writing (1930) it numbers about 8,000 souls. During his long and successful pastorate here Rev. Peter Gorret has accomplished a great work, increasing the material possessions of the parish, stimulating its activities, and increasing its membership. He has purchased two properties, one on Union Avenue, the other on Laurel Hill Avenue for the future development of the Church organizations. The church edifice, too, has received careful attention from Father Gorret. A fine new organ, manufactured by the P. H. Moeller firm of Maryland, has been installed, numerous repairs and improvements have been made, and the entire church property has been put in the best possible condition.
Father Gorret has the hearty and enthusiastic cooperation of his parishioners and the interest which they take in their church and parish is indicated by the fact that besides the Holy Name Society and a number of other church societies, all in flourishing condition, there are twenty-seven social societies, all active and prosperous. In addition to the work within his own parish Father Gorret, in 1929, built on Hartford Avenue and completely outfitted a mission church which accommodates three hundred people. The varied activities of the parish and the large membership of 8,000 souls make necessary the assistance of two curates in carrying forward the splendid work which is being accomplished in the parish of St. Bartholomew.
Father Gorret not only has the deep regard of his parishioners but he has also won the high esteem of all who know him or know of his work in Providence, irrespective of religious affiliations.
Carroll, Charles. Rhode Island: Three Centuries of Democracy, vol 3 of 4. New York: Lewis historical Pub. Co., 1932.