Becoming associated in business with his father, immediately after graduation from high school, Mr. Murray, since the latter’s death in 1927, has carried on the business himself. Bearing the family name it is one of the most successful and best known granite and marble works in Woonsocket.
James V. Murray was born in Woonsocket, February 14, 1887, a son of Thomas P. and Elizabeth (McCabe) Murray. His father was born in Westerly, Rhode Island, and throughout his entire life was a resident of that State. He learned the trade of stone-cutter in his native town and as a young man came to Woonsocket, where he became associated with the Woonsocket Granite & Marble Works, eventually becoming the sole owner. Thomas P. Murray continued active in this business until his death December 12, 1927. His wife was a native of New York State, but lived the greater part of her life in Rhode Island. James V. Murray received his early education in St. Charles’ Parochial School, Woonsocket, and then attended the Woonsocket High School, from which he was graduated in 1906. He then took a special course in the Rhode Island School of Design and associated himself with his father in the Woonsocket Granite & Marble Works. At that time the name of the firm was changed to Thomas P. Murray & Son, under which name the business is still carried on, Mr. Murray having retained the name. Besides his marble business he is extensively engaged in general tile work and in the laying of tile and rubber floors. His standing in the financial circles of Woonsocket is indicated by the fact that he is a member of the board of directors of the Woonsocket Trust Company. He is also a member of the Woonsocket Chamber of Commerce, the Knights of Columbus, and the Woonsocket City Club. In politics he is independent. His religious affiliation is with St. Charles’ Roman Catholic Church of Woonsocket.
Mr. Murray married Mary E. Long, a native of Framingham, Massachusetts, but throughout the greater part of her life a resident of Woonsocket. Mrs. Murray is a daughter of John J. and Bridget (Devine) Long. Like her husband, she is a graduate of St. Charles’ Parochial School and the Woonsocket High School, graduating from the former in 1903 and from the latter in 1907. She is also a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Education, 1910. Having completed her education she took up teaching in the public schools of Woonsocket, continuing in that profession until her marriage to Mr. Murray. Mr. and Mrs. Murray are the parents of four children: Phyllis B., Elizabeth M., Mary E., and James V., Jr. The family home is located at No. 506 Prospect Street, Woonsocket, while Mr. Murray’s business offices are at No. 205 Railroad Street.
Carroll, Charles. Rhode Island: Three Centuries of Democracy, vol 3 of 4. New York: Lewis historical Pub. Co., 1932.