After having practiced his profession for about four years in Providence, Dr. Callery entered the United States Army Dental Corps in 1917. And after more than two years’ World War service, he was connected for a time with the United States Public Health Service and then for several years with the Dental Corps of the Regular United States Army. Eventually he returned to private practice, and since 1926, he has been one of the leading dental surgeons of Bristol. He enjoys a very high professional standing and a large practice. He is prominently active in several dental associations, belongs to a number of fraternal, social, and patriotic organizations, and takes an active part in religious work. In every respect he is regarded as one of Bristol’s representative professional men.
Charles E. Callery was born in Providence, May 14, 1888, a son of the late Patrick J. and Catharine (Rieley) Callery. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and until his death was engaged in the baking business. His mother, now also deceased, was born in Ireland. Dr. Callery received his early education in the public grammar and high schools of Cranston and then attended the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery of the University of Maryland, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1913. Immediately afterwards he established himself in the practice of dentistry in Providence, continuing with his professional work until 1917.
Shortly after the United States entered the World War Dr. Callery entered military service, and on August 23, 1917, he was commissioned first lieutenant, United States Army Dental Corps. Assigned at first to the depot brigade at Camp Devens, Massachusetts, he was later transferred to the 34th Machine Gun Division and afterwards to the Base Hospital at Camp Devens. With the rank of first lieutenant he received his honorable discharge from military service, in October, 1919. Immediately afterwards he was placed in charge of the dental clinic at the United States Marine Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained until September, 1920. For the next few months and until November, 1920, he was connected with the United States Public Health Service in Washington, District of Columbia. At the end of this period he was commissioned a first lieutenant in the United States Army Dental Corps, in which he served until June, 1922, when he received his discharge. During his service with the regular army he was connected with the United States transport service, was then stationed at Camp Mead, Maryland, and finally attended the Army Medical Field Service School at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated. In June, 1922, he went to the Army Dental School, Washington, District of Columbia, where he remained until 1926. During part of this period he toured the country lecturing on dentistry. In 1926, Dr. Callery established himself in the private practice of dentistry at Bristol, where he has continued with marked success since then, his offices being located at No. 471 Hope Street. He is a member of the American Dental Association, the Southeastern New England Dental Society, the Rhode Island Dental Society, and the Bosworth Study Club of Rhode Island. He is also a member of the Alumni Association of the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery; Xi Psi Phi Fraternity and the Theta Nu Epsilon Fraternity; Kearney Post, No. 6, American Legion, of which he is vice-commander; Carlisle Lodge, No. 578, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Providence Council, No. 95, Knights of Columbus; Bishop Hendricksen Assembly, fourth degree, Knights of Columbus; the West Warwick Country Club; and the Lions Club of Bristol. In politics he is a supporter of the Democratic party, while his religious affiliation is with St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, of Bristol. He is fond of outdoor life and is especially interested in golf and aviation. Dr. Callery is not married.
Source: Carroll, Charles. Rhode Island: Three Centuries of Democracy, vol 3 of 4. New York: Lewis historical Pub. Co., 1932.