Becoming identified with the automobile business more than a quarter of a century ago and immediately following the completion of his education, Mr. Lawson since then at different times has been connected with practically all branches of this business, excepting only the manufacture of automobiles. He has always been especially interested in the sales and service phase of the automobile business, and since 1924 he has been a very successful local agent for Newport County for the Chevrolet motor cars. Mr. Lawson is regarded as one of the most substantial and most able men in the automobile business in Newport.
Edward B. Lawson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, October 29, 1885, a son of Charles and Mary (Connelly) Lawson, both natives of Baltimore and both now deceased. His father was engaged for many years and until his death as a contracting mason. Mr. Lawson received his education in the public schools of Washington, District of Columbia, and after leaving school entered the automobile business in the National Capital in 1903. His first position was that of a mechanic, in which type of work he continued until 1907. In that year he went into the sales and service end of the business and during the next eight years he gained valuable and extensive experience in this field. In 1915 he came to Newport and established himself in business here, renting out private cars by the day, week and month. He continued in this type of business successfully until 1920, and then started in the sales and service business for his own account, specializing in the sale of used cars. Four years later, in 1924, he became the Chevrolet dealer for Newport County and since then he has continued to represent this well known motor car in this territory. His offices and service station are located at Nos. 8-10 First Street, Newport, while the showrooms are at Nos. 117-119 Bellevue Avenue. Under Mr. Lawson’s very energetic and capable management his agency has enjoyed steady growth and prosperity, and his establishment is generally recognized as one of the most efficiently-operated and most modernly-equipped in Newport. He is a member of Newport Lodge, No. 104, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; the Fraternal Order of Moose; and the Hatchet Club. He is fond of outdoor life and is interested in all forms of athletic sports. In politics he is an Independent.
Mr. Lawson married, in 1913, Elsie Maddox, a native of England. Mr. and Mrs. Lawson are the parents of one son, William Lawson.
Carroll, Charles. Rhode Island: Three Centuries of Democracy, vol 3 of 4. New York: Lewis historical Pub. Co., 1932.